Hemorrhoid – A mass of dilated veins in swollen tissues at the margin of the anus or nearly within the rectum. Also called piles.
Haemorrhoids arise from congestion of the internal and / or external venous plexuses around the anal canal. They are extremely common in adults.
Piles is associated with constipation and straining . It may develop for the first time in Pregnancy.
The first degree piles bleed ,while second – degree piles prolapse but retract spontaneously. Third degree piles are those which require manual replacement after prolapsing .
Causes : Low fiber diet, ageing, chronic constipation, pregnancy, tumors in the pelvis. Obesity also increases the risk of piles, Diet rich with processed food and lacking in fiber, bouts of diarrhea, using laxatives, anal intercourse, straining during bowel movements-any of these could also give rise to Hemorrhoid.
Symptoms : Pain, itching, pricking sensation, inflammation around anal region, discomfort, while passing stools with some degree of itching, bleeding through stools, a lump near the anus which may be painful, pruritus ani and mucus discharge. Hemorrhoid symptoms depend on the location of the hemorrhoids.
Puritus ani occurs due to Piles . Pruritus – localized or generalized itching due to irritation of sensory nerve endings from organic or psychogenic causes. Itching may be trivial or severe, and results in an itchscrath –itch cycle which exacerbates the problem.
Herbs To Treat Piles :
- Bombax malabaricum gum ( Mochras),E: Silk Cotton Tree. Styptic, and astringent.Purified gum contains 8.9 % mineral matter and a considerable proportion of catechol tannin. (Ref: Wealth of India, Vol IX,1972,183.)
- Nymphaea stellata( Nilotpal),E: Indian blue water lily): Analgesic, anti-inflammatory (Ref: Pharmacological Research Unit, Central Council for Research in Ayurveda and Siddha , Lucknow and Calcutta; Singh N et al, Pharmacological studies on N.stellata, J Res Indian Med Yoga and Homoeo 1977,12(3), 53 -57; Singh N et al,1978, Quart J Crude Drug Res , 16,8.)
- Butcher’s Broom : It contains Ruscusaculeatus . It has anti-inflammatory properties .It helps to shrink the piles.
Contraindication : Do not give this with anticoagulant such as Warfarin
- Sesamum indicum ( Til) E: ( Sesamum): Useful to treat Piles. A paste of seeds mixed with butter is used in bleeding piles. (Ref: Wealth of India , Vol X,1972,290.)
- Horse chestnut: For Piles it can be used in the form of Tea. It can also be applied externally on the Haemorrhoids with cotton balls. It should not be consumed in a large quantity.
- White Oak Bark ( Quercus alba): This herb has a efficacy to treat Bleeding and Non Bleeding Piles.
- Stone Root ( Collinsonia Canadensis): Especially effective in Bleeding Piles. Can be applied externally on Haemorrhoids.
- Santalum album ( Chandan): The wood paste is applied externally to inflmmed swellings, ulcers to relieve inflammation and Pruritus.
- Curcuma longa ( Haldi E: Turmeric ): It acts as an anti – inflammatory. It can be used in the ointment to relive pain, swelling and inflammation of the anal region.
Natural Home Remedies
In the initial stage of Hemorrhoid ,Natural Remedies are very effective. So one should resort to these to try and avoid surgical intervention.
- Soak figs in a glass of water overnight. Eat the figs early in the morning.
- Take high fiber food – Bean, cereals, fresh fruits and vegetables -asparagus, cabbage
- Take Carrot Juice daily
- Avoid pickles, fried foods, oily and spicy food, red chilli, excessive amount of salt, egg plant.
- Do not sit on a hard surface for a long time.
- Drink Radish juice twice daily with a little bit of salt.
- A decoction of dried ginger (Zingiber officianale) twice daily is beneficial.
- Decoction of Haritaki (Terminalia Chebula) ( E- Chebulic myrobalan)before going to bed is advisable.
- Take the juice of green leaves of corian
- The juice of Bitter ground is beneficial in hemorrhoids. It helps to stimulate peristaltic movements. If you have a problem of gases don’t take
- Eat cooked Rice with Buttermilk daily.
- Onion( Allium cepa) with sugar is advisable .
- Eat the fruit of Jambhul with salt.
- Take ginger juice, lime juice, mint juice in equal parts. Add 1 tablespoon of honey in it. Take this once a day.
- Drinking buttermilk is very effective in piles. Add bit of black pepper powder and cumin seed powder in it.
- Decoction of Haritaki (Terminalia Chebula) ( E- Chebulic myrobalan)before going to bed is advisable
- For bleeding piles, take the powder of dried mango seeds with honey.
- Fiber shows a beneficial effect on hemorrhoids i.e. it helps to relieve the problems of hemorrhoids and softens the stools. To get fiber, eat whole grains and plenty of vegetables.
- Bioflavonoids – strengthen the blood vessels and relieve inflammation.Theyt help to relieve pain and disorders of anal region occurring at the time of acute attack of hemorrhoids
- The juice of Bitter ground is beneficial in hemorrhoids. It helps to stimulate peristaltic movements. If you have a problem of gases don’t take it.
- A poultice made of sesame seeds can be applied over bleeding piles as an external treatment.
- A paste of the seeds of Sesamum indicam – ( Sesamum )mixed with butter is used in bleeding piles.
- A hot poultice of dry Radish is a good application in non – bleeding piles.
- The enema of Wheat Grass Juice cab be used as an enema in Piles.
- Wear cotton underwear to prevent accumulation of moisture.
- Apply some coconut oil on the affected area. It gives soothing effect for a short period of time.
- Apply an ice-pack on the anal region for about 10 minutes twice daily.
- Keep the anal region dry.
- Avoid Soda beverages, Beer, Wine, Coffee, Oily and Spicy food.
Though I have mentioned the quantity of ingredients in some Natural Home Remedies, but consult the Ayurvedic Physician for the quantity of ingredients and also for Natural Home Remedies before taking it.
Dr. Veena Deo
(Head Clinical Research- Baidyanath)